Friday, February 5, 2010

Teach me how . . . to bake bread

My awesome friend Jade has a segment on her blog called "Tell me how . . . " and I think I am going to copy her idea because I have learned so much from her posts! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right?

I received a wheat grinder from my awesome husband for Christmas and I have been trying to find the PERFECT bread recipe. So . . . Teach me how to bake bread. I am curious to know what your favorite ingredients and tips are. I will post my recipe below and please critique it and give me tips! Teach me!

My questions:
What type of honey do people use?
-I have been using clover honey and it seems to work just fine, but is there a better honey I should be using?
What else can I use to give it more substance?
What does freezing do to it? I have never tried it.
How do you know for sure that it is done?
Is doughy better?
Is there a certain temperature it needs to be at?
Glass pyrex loaf pan or dark nonstick pan? (The loafs pictured below were made with one glass pan and one nonstick. The glass pan is in the back. Ideas?)Wheat Bread

2 1/2 C warm water
2 TB yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 olive oil
1/4 honey
2 T wheat gluten
5 C+ fresh ground wheat flour
1 T salt
1/4 C flax

Dissolve yeast and sugar in water and let sit until bubbly. Add oil, honey, gluten, and 4 C of flour. Mix. Add salt, flax, and remaining flour. I usually use white flour for the last cup. Continue to add flour until dough clings to hook and comes away from the sides. Knead additional 3-5 minutes.

Oil hands and counter with olive oil and break dough into 2 halves and shape into loafs. I like to throw the dough against the counter and I don't know why, but it seems to work for me. I saw my friend do that once and she makes good bread. ha ha:)

Place dough in greased loaf pans, cover with towel, and let rise until desired height.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. I heard once that the bread is done once it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Is this true?

*** I will start adding these teach me how posts from time to time. I am hoping for some good feedback and if I don't I won't post them, so COMMENT and let me know your thoughts!*****

5 comments:

The Clarks said...

i wish i could give you some amazing advise, but alas - i've made bread like 3 times in my whole life! ha ha. =) but i will try your recipe! i'm sure it is wonderful. =) miss you.

Neesha said...

I emailed you a ton of info (it was easier than posting it all in a comment). Love this blog :)

Tiffany said...

Neesha that email was awesome!!! I can't wait to try that recipe. Do you mind if I post some of the tips? Thanks soooo much!

Neesha said...

No problems here! Glad it was helpful!

Just US said...

What type of honey do people use?
Honey is really up to you to use it is a personal choice. I tend to use white sugar and honey, in bread you want to feed the yeast with the sugar and flour.

What else can I use to give it more substance?
Not sure what you mean by substance.

What does freezing do to it? Are you freezing the dough or the bread?

How do you know for sure that it is done?
Bread is done when flip it over and it has a hollow sound when you knock the bottom.

Is doughy better?
Not sure what doughy means. If you mean a sticky dough verse a stiff dough. A wetter dough is used when making ciabatta and a stiff dough is used when shape such a rolls.

Is there a certain temperature it needs to be at?
Follow the baking guidline in the recipe. I usually like to preheat my oven 20 degrees over, then when I put the bread in the oven I sprayh the oven with water and put the dough into bake it will give it a nicer crust.

Glass pyrex loaf pan or dark nonstick pan?
Both are fine, just don't bake them at the same time. They require different baking times.
hope this helps