Monday, February 22, 2010

Chicken Courdon Bleu

This meal is starting to become a Valentine's Day tradition in our household. I should mix it up, but both my hubby and I love it so much I stay with what I know. :) With hubby's schedule being as it is, he often has to work on Vday. So we usually have a nice dinner after the crazy kiddos are in bed. It's nice . . . sigh. Uninterrupted meals, adult conversation, and sometimes watching TV without background noise, I digress. :) This is so yummy, I usually double it so I can eat the leftovers the next day for lunch. For this you will need:

4-5 chicken breasts
deli ham
swiss cheese
rosemary
thyme
salt and pepper
1/2 stick butter
corn flakes

With your favorite meat mallot, some saran wrap, and a cutting board pound the chicken until pretty thin. Thin enough to easily roll, but not too thin so that it falls apart. I like to lay saran wrap on top of the cutting board, then put the chicken, then another layer of wrap. Makes it easier clean up and not as slippery.

Then layer the rest of the ingredients. First ham, then swiss, then your herbs and seasonings.
Starting at one end, roll the chicken to the other end. Then coat the chicken in melted butter and then liberally roll the buttery chicken in crushed corn flakes.

Tightly roll and secure with a good 'ole toothpick and placed in greased casserole dish.

Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and cooked through.

Sauce:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 C sour cream
1 tsp -3 T lemon juice

Combine all and heat through until bubbly. I like to add more lemon juice because I think that is what makes the sauce, but you decide. Pour sauce all over chicken and enjoy!

I served this with Cheesy Potatoes and steamed broccoli or asparagus.

Recipe courtesy of my Momma

1 comment:

Kristin said...

that was making me drool:)