Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Grandma Carol's Waffles

My wonderful, amazing, and inspiring Grandma passed away last week. She was such an inspiration to me. She AMAZED me every time we would visit because she could whip up a meal in a heartbeat and sometimes out of literally nothing. She was an amazing cook and she always encouraged me to cook because it was such a reward to cook for the people you love. I am starting to believe that this is true. She will be greatly missed, but I am so glad that I was able to snag some of her recipes from her. :)
The morning of her funeral, which I couldn't attend, I made her waffles. She would make these for us every single time we were there. She would get up at 5 and just wait for people to wake up and make them a fresh waffle. I have always LOVED this recipe and it makes me think of her every time I make them. Enjoy!

2 C flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 C buttermilk*
1 C oil
4 eggs, divided

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Divide eggs and beat egg whites until you have stiff peaks. In a different bowl mix the egg yolks, buttermilk, and oil. Beat egg mixture into dry mixture and carefully fold in egg whites.

Cook in your favorite waffle maker. Sometimes I double the recipe and freeze the leftovers for easy toaster waffles on quick mornings.

*Gma told me that is you don't have buttermilk, you can use regular milk, but add 1 T of lemon juice for every cup of milk.

Grandma I love and miss you more than you know, although you probably do know, but anyways . . . I love you the mostest!

2 comments:

Jessica Allen said...

Tiff... I am so sorry about your Grandma. I to LOVE these!!! We make them all the time so thatnks for sharing the recipe with us.

Taralyn said...

Um, you're adorable. :) The end.