Monday, February 8, 2010

Pretzels

This recipe was so much fun for girls and I to make on Saturday. I LOVE nacho cheese and just happened to buy a big bulk can of it from Sam's Club so I was trying to find ways to use it. So we made pretzels!
2 pkgs yeast
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 tsp salt
2 T sugar
4 C flour
1 egg beaten
kosher salt

Mix yeast and water in large mixing bowl. Than add salt, sugar, and flour. I used freshly ground wheat flour but white is just as awesome. Knead in mixer until smooth and elastic.

On oiled surface roll dough into snakes, then shape as desired. Place on greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled in size. I was REALLY impatient and didn't let them rise, I should have though.
Then brush beaten egg onto each pretzel and sprinkle with kosher salt.

Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes. I let mine bake for only 12 and it was PLENTY long enough the bottoms were burnt.

You could also leave some pretzels unsalted and after they are done baking brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

2 comments:

Just US said...

I saw your post on my friend Amys facebook. You mentioned that the pretzels were burning on the bottom. Are you using parchement paper or just baking them on the pan. Also where you place the pan in the oven will also have an effect.

Tiffany said...

Of course that makes sense :) Thanks for the tip, that is why I LOVE comments!

PS. I am curious what was posted on facebook!