Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thai Omlets

My dad made this for us all the time growing up. It was ALWAYS the meal I requested on my birthday and special occasions. Whenever I smell it I get all homesick - no joke!

1 lb ground beef
1/3 C diced green onion
1/2 minced onion
1-2 T garlic
1/3 C fish sauce*
1/3 C sugar*
1 diced tomato

In skillet, brown hamburger with onion. When browned add garlic and EQUAL amounts of fish sauce and sugar. I always start off with the 1/3 C and then go from there. You want to taste it. If you like it more sweet add more sugar, more salty add more fish sauce. It's a trial and error process as it always is with fish sauce. Add green onion and tomato and let simmer for about 5-8 minutes. Do not drain any juice that may accumulate - it's tasty!

While simmering make the omelets. 2 eggs for every omelet. The trick is to make the egg as thin as possible. When ready to flip and fold the omelet, add about a scoop of meat mixture and fold over. Repeat until meat is gone.

Serve over white rice and with won tons (see recipe above).
*don't be nervous about experimenting with the fish sauce and sugar. That is the only way you will find out how you like it.
*Dad, I know this is blasphemy, but if you aren't up to omelet making, just make a batch of scrambled eggs (big enough for your family). This is what I usually do and it tastes just the same to me. :)
*If you need you can add crushed red pepper flakes like my husband OR use this (which is what I use) :

1 comment:

Hopkinson said...

I really can't imagine you eating this without me!