Monday, October 12, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

I am still not home, but I couldn't resist posting this. I am at my in-laws house visiting and today we spent all morning out in the garden picking the rest of their tomatoes. My little 2 year old is a master tomato picker, let me tell ya. She was picking them off faster than we could put them in the bag! Almost all of the tomatoes were green, so I decided to try it out. After a little research online, I made up my own version of these tasty fried green toe-maters. We fried the red ones too, which were tasty, but not quite as much.
4-5 green tomatoes
salt and pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 C flour
1-2 C bread crumbs or corn meal
vegetable oil or bacon grease

Wash and slice your tomatoes to about 1/4 in. thick. (We cut these way to thick and I think they would have turned out even better if they were thinner.) Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper and lightly dust with flour on BOTH sides. Dip the toe-mater in egg and then in the bread crumbs/corn meal.
Fry tomatoes in heated grease for about 3 minutes on both sides, or until nice and brown. Serve while hot!

*Lots of the recipes I looked at said to use either corn meal or bread crumbs. I used bread crumbs because I am a huge fan of bread crumbs. It also said to fry it bacon grease, which I will have to do next time. I bet that would be even tastier!

1 comment:

Snake River Stories said...

Gasp!!! I always wander by here when I am starving!!!
You are no help! But I do love this blog and you are very inspiring. Had fried green tomatoes two weeks ago in Tennessee. I have to say yours look equally as lovely and yummy!