Sunday, October 4, 2009

Lion House Rolls

These are the yummiest homemade rolls I have ever had, except maybe Grandma Boyer's, but I don't have her recipe - so sad. Anyways, they very easy and always turn out!Lionhouse Rolls*
2 C warm water
1 egg
1/4 C sugar
1/3 C butter, melted and cooled
2 T yeast
2 tsp salt
2/3 C powdered milk
5 - 6 C flour

Dissolve dry milk in warm water completely. Add yeast, sugar, butter, egg and 2 C of flour. Mix briefly then add salt and remaining flour. Dough will be very sticky, but don't add more flour than you need, just until the dough sticks to hook and not sides of bowl.
Leave in bowl and allow to rise until doubled - up to 2 hours!

Roll dough on floured surface into large rectangle until 1/2 in. thick. With a pizza cutter, cut 2"x4" rectangles. Roll up rectangles, pinch sides, and tuck slightly under. Arrange rolls on half baking sheet in 5x7 array.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
Brush with butter when they come out of oven and cool on cooling rack to avoid soggy bottoms. (Nobody wants a soggy bottom) Hee Hee
Shape rolls and allow to rise until doubled or another 1 hour!

*I NEVER have powdered milk on hand so I usually end up using 1 C warm water and 1 C warm milk - it has always worked for me. Maybe that means I need to be better with my food storage.
*I put my rolls in baking dishes this time. This way they are more like pull apart rolls.

(Courtesy of Jessica A's Kitchen)

No comments: