Monday, September 21, 2009

Spicy Vegi Meatloaf

So this recipe started out as my dad's, but I have tweaked it a bit and I have to say it's a family favorite. We have this almost once a week - even Madison likes it, which is saying A LOT. I made this a couple nights ago, so there aren't any good pics, but you get it.

Spicy Vegi Meatloaf*

1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 C instant oats
1 egg
1 small minced onion
1/2 C milk
1 tsp Worts sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1/2 C Hot Vegi mix in food processor

Mince onion and process vegi's - set aside. Combine all ingredients with beef, take off any jewelry, and get your hands dirty. :) Mix well. Transfer meat into 9x9 dish.

Spicy Topping
3 T ketchup
1 T brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T juice from vegi mix (or bottled jalapeno's)

Combine all ingredients and whisk with fork. Evenly spread over meatloaf.
Bake at 350, uncovered, for 45 min - 1 hour. Or until meatloaf reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees.

Enjoy!

* I have so many different variations to this recipe. If you aren't feeling "spicy" leave out the spicy vegi's and add carrots and green/red peppers chopped in food processor. My kids never even know the vegi's are in there, it's great. You can leave the spicy juice our of the topping too.
* I also like to add cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, and bacon. Just mix grated cheese and bread crumbs in with meatloaf and spread uncooked bacon strips over top of meatloaf to cook instead of the ketchup topping. This way is Bryan's favorite!
*I NEVER measure anything for this recipe. I eyeball everything, FYI.
*(last one I promise) For a fun kid friendly meatloaf, mold meat into mini meatloaf's the size of your palm and bake on cookie sheet lined with parchment. Makes for fun, individual servings.

2 comments:

Stuart said...

Note: This recipe started out as your mom's! It was then tweaked by your dad. Ha Ha just thought you should know =)
Mom

Tiffany said...

Whoops - sorry Mom. Dad is the King of Sunday dinners, I thought it was his. ha ha