Monday, September 28, 2009

Spicy Beef

This is my dad's recipe, who served a LDS mission in Thailand. He lived there for 2 years and he is a wonderful Thai chef, if I do say so myself. As little kiddo's my brother, sisters, and I grew up eating the spiciest foods. My baby sister had a higher tolerance for spicy food at 18 months than most adults do. :) Anyways . . . I LOVE Thai food. I am learning more about Thai cooking and loving it to death - it does take a while to master. So with that being said . . .

If you don't like this . . .you might not want to try this recipe.
It called Fish Sauce and my husband HATES it. For those of you who don't know, since moving to our new home in August, he is still commuting to his old job 3 days at a time, an hour and a half away. It really sucks. The only benefit is that I can make this while he is gone. Hee Hee. That is why my menu varies so much. Half the week it is my kids and I, so I can have this and pancakes for dinner and get away with it. The other half of the week he is home and we make more comfort foods.
Anyways . . . here is the recipe:Spicy Beef* (All you need is this:)1 lb ground beef
1 medium sized diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
3 T fish sauce
2 1/2 T lemon juice
2 T basil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or more if desired - my dad adds like 2 T)

Brown hamburger with oninons. Add fish sauce, lemon juice, garlic, basil, and flakes. Stir, cover, and simmer for 7-10 minutes.

Serve over rice and with fresh grilled pineapple.*You have to add more basil, fish sauce, or lemon juice depending on personal preference. If it's too salty, reduce fish sauce. If it's too lemony, reduce juice, etc.
*I LOVE THIS MEAL!!!!!
* You will love it too if you try it and it tastes right. :) Good luck. I can't wait to hear how it goes - let me know. All of the family and friends I have made it for (or my Daddy) have loved it!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

If you hate onions, use onion powder. My friend's wife is from Thailand, so we get some good eats during lunches sometimes. I just learn to get the recipes and change it to something with a more suitable texture for my picky palate. :) Try this with turkey and it is delicious. Also, if you add minced red and green peppers (I dunno what they are really called, I buy them in a package from the local market and they are called "spicy peppers), it makes it even spicier!

Tiffany said...

Who hates onions????? Maybe you know some good Thai recipe's too Ashley . . .

Ground turkey would make this recipe! Good thinking.

Taunalee said...

Yeah that's right, I'm a rock! Yum!!! I think I'm going to go buy ingredients for spicy beef now. I haven't made it in a while and I'm in serious need of comfort food.

Tiffany said...

I hope your roomies like fish sauce . . . they will learn :)