Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Unleavened Bread

Today I started by Baking class!!!! Which means you can expect some delicious recipes here for the next four months. :) Today we started with something very simple, yet delicious! Unleavened bread! It's kind of like pita, but not. I don't know how to describe it other than it's yummy. In this class we're measuring by weight rather than the typical method with measuring cups and such- it's much more accurate. But it is possible to convert it. Food scales can also be purchased easily for as little as $20 (but I would recommend a digital display and a zero-out option- that way you can just measure the ingredients and not have to deal with the weight of the bowl). So here goes!



Unleavened Bread
11 oz (slightly less than a cup and a half) of flour- you can use all white or half white/half wheat
7 oz (a little less than a cup) of water
1 tsp salt

mix ingredients and knead (all of this can be done with your hands).
Divide into 4, and roll out into circles 1/8"-1/4" thick.
Bake at 450ยบ for 5-10 minutes.

You can use it for a lot of stuff. Chicken salad, PB&J, hummus, etc. Maybe even for little personal pizzas?

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Yummy! Why don't you just do the conversions for us. :) Yay for more posts!!!

Taunalee said...

I did. :) You could also use a liquid measuring cup instead of a normal measuring cup. Those usually have ounces printed on them.

Tiffany said...

Yay - I see that now. Duh. ha ha

brownymama said...

Tiffany, just saw your post on my blog, and am totally kicking myself! Ryan and I even talked about where you all live and he told me that it WASN'T Manti!!! Would have been so fun to see you!!

Krista

Stuart Clark said...

Listen to you sounding all professional with your scale tips. You go girl - and I'm loving new posts!!!

Mom