Monday, September 19, 2011

Marinara Sauce

My friend Heather M. gave me this recipe because I have SOO many tomatoes from the garden this year and I am sick of making salsa so . . . . ya.  I haven't yet used it for anything, but it tastes amazing!!!  She says you can use it for spaghetti, stuffed shells, lasagna, any pasta really.  I am going to try it with meatballs and stuffed peppers later this week.  She also says you can either bottle it or freeze it.  I will be freezing because that is how I roll.  ha ha.

In a large stockpot, saute:
4 med. onions, diced really small (about 3 cups)
4 cloves of garlic
2 T olive oil (she said any cooking oil will work as well)

Once onions are soft add:
10-16 C diced tomatoes (I did 12 because that is what I had)
1 T oregano
1 T basil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Let come to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours.  The longer the better.  Before you store and cool, take a emulsion blender and make everything nice and smooth!  Once cool, store and freeze! 

When ready to use just use as is or add ground beef or Italian sausage!  Yummy!  I am wishing I had even more tomatoes so I could make a whole freezer full!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Tiffany - thanks for the "marinara" tip. Looks easy (and yummy) enough even Ken could make it ;)