Friday, May 14, 2010

Kung Pao Tofu



I love Chinese food! It's probably my #1 comfort food, and something I am pretty sure I can't live without. So, I obviously had to find recipes to make vegetarian Chinese food. This one is really yummy!

Ingredients:

1 14-oz package extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
1/2 tsp five-spice or all-spice powder
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 c water
3 Tbsp oyster-flavored or oyster sauce
1/2 tsp cornstarch
4 cups broccoli crowns in bite-size pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, diced into 1/2 inch strips
1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/2 inch strips
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp unsalted roasted peanuts
2 tsp hot sesame oil--I used straight sesame oil and it added a lot of flavor-do it!

Directions:

1. Pat tofu dry and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Combine with 1/4 tsp all-spice in med bowl.

Now, I know that some of you are scared of tofu, so here are some tips! The texture can be really nasty, but if you hate tofu I'm betting you've never had it made the right way! I have to attribute the following tip to my Mom who learned it from her fishetarian friend. :) First, rinse the tofu! Then squish it between two napkins until the napkins are dry. This reduces the slimy texture and makes the whole experience a lot better.



Also, the type of tofu you buy really matters! Extra-firm is the way to go for most recipes.



2. Heat canola oil in large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring every 1-2 minutes, until golden brown, 7-9 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.

3. Meanwhile, whisk water, oyster sauce, cornstarch and remaining 1/4 tsp all-spice in small bowl.

4. Add 1-2 Tbsp oyster mix to bowl and then add broccoli and peppers to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables begin to soften, about 4 min. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low, add the oyster sauce mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Return the tofu to the pan along with peanuts and stir to coat with sauce; stir in hot sesame oil.

And enjoy!! I really liked this recipe. I made some brown rice and bulgur to go with it, but it can definitely stand alone too.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

That seems fairly easy! I would imagine more ingredients . . . looks really yummy!