Friday, January 15, 2010

Broccolli and Cheese Soup

1/2 head cauliflower, chopped (optional)
1/2 head broccoli, chopped
2 C grated carrots (I used a bag of grated carrots)
1/2 onion, chopped
fresh ground pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp basil
2 14 oz cans chicken broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 stick butter
3/4 C flour
1 QT half and half
8 oz cubed cream cheese or velvetta (I used 14 oz of Velevetta because I like cheese)

Chop veggies. It doesn't have to be a fine chop, mine was like this:Put broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onion, broth, bouillon, and seasonings in stockpot. Simmer on medium low about 12-15 minutes. DO NOT BOIL.
(I didn't measure any veggies so it we ended up needing more chicken broth)

In a separate saucepan add butter and let melt then add flour. Stir until thick, about the consistency of peanut butter. (You are making another white sauce) Then add half and half. Stir on medium heat until thick and cream. Thick enough that the sauce is pulling away from the sides of the pan. Then add your cheese and stir until melted.

Combine the cheese sauce with the veggies in stockpot and simmer until serving.Yes, I know my soup bowl is overflowing, and no, I couldn't finish it. I poured my soup in a normal bowl and then remembered the sour dough soup bowls I bought. So then I poured my soup in my soup bowl and this is what happened. Ha ha.

Recipe courtesy of my mother in law DeAnne.

No comments: