Saturday, November 19, 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie

Tis the Season....for me to make pies. :) I've been experimenting with some different kinds lately, and can I just say, I LOVE PIE!!! I don't think I have a favorite anymore. I just really like them. :)


Baked Pie Crust (See my pie crust recipe here: Cherry Raspberry Pie. Bake at 450, 10-12 min.)
3 large egg yolks (you'll use the whites later-save them!)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 plus 1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 cups water
3 Tbsp butter (I used vegan butter)
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 drops yellow food color, if desired
Meringue for 9-inch pie (recipe below)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Beat egg yolks with a fork in a small bowl. Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan, gradually stirring in the water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Immediately stir at least half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; stir back into the hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute, remove from heat. Stir in the margarine, lemon peel, lemon juice, and food color. Pour into pie crust.

Prepare Meringue:

3 large egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy. Do not underbeat. Beat in vanilla.

Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling. Spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.

Bake 8-12 minutes or until meringue is light brown. Cool away from draft. Cover and refrigerate cooled pie until serving, and immediately refrigerate any remaining pie.

Yummy!

No comments: